This is an oversimplified list of rules to introduce new players to creating bowings.
1. The first beat of a measure should be a down bow. (Unless there’s a syncopation.)
2. ‘Ands’ (&) are usually up bow.
3. Rests can be bowed or count as a bowing.
4. Hooks may be used (especially in asymmetrical meters such as 6/8) but avoid 3 of the same bow in a row.
5. Bow lifts may be used
6. You may break one rule per measure.
*Unsure / confused / complex? – Find the end of a phrase that you want to be a down bow then work backwards